Learn How to Reset, Reboot, Enter DFU Mode on iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Resetting and DFU mode on iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, helps in troubleshooting scenario. Device Firmware Upgrade mode, DFU mode, is simply a handy way of restoring an unresponsive iPhone back to its factory settings.
How to Restart your iPhone X or iPhone 8
iPhone X and iPhone 8 reassign the “double press and hold” reboot button combination of iPhones past to Emergency SOS, as the combo is a simple and easy one to remember in the stress of emergency situations. Unfortunately, that means the reboot combination has changed for these models. Below are the steps on how to reboot your iPhone 8/iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X device in case it stops responding or you can’t force quit apps or turn it off by holding down the power button.
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly click and release the Volume Down button. (press the power button the right side and the volume up or down button on the left side of the phone at the same time)
- Press and hold the Side button (sleep/wake, on/off).
How to put your iPhone X or iPhone 8 into DFU mode
If all else has failed, you may need to restore your iPhone; if it won’t restore normally, you’ll need to put it into DFU mode.
- Plug your iPhone X or iPhone 8 into your Mac or PC.
- Make sure iTunes is running.
- Turn Off your iPhone X or iPhone 8 (if it isn’t already).
- Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side of your iPhone for 3 seconds.
- Press and hold down the volume down button on the left side of your iPhone while still holding down the On/Off button.
- Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you’ve held them too long and will need to start again.)
- Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the volume down button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the “Plug into iTunes” screen, then you’ve held it too long and will need to start again.)
- If the screen stays black, that’s it! Your iPhone 8 should now be in DFU mode.
Now that you’ve successfully booted up your iPhone into DFU mode, you can hit “OK” to close the iTunes recovery prompt and proceed to restore it back to factory settings by selecting “Restore iPhone” under iPhone Recovery Mode inside iTunes.
Reminder: If you see any logos on your device, you might be in Recovery Mode, but you’re not in DFU mode. If Recovery Mode works, great. If not, try for DFU Mode again.
Exiting DFU Mode for iPhone X or iPhone 8/8 Plus
In the event that you put your iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X into DFU mode — whether on purpose or not — and want to get out, you can safely exit out of DFU mode by performing the following.
- Quick-press the volume up button.
- Quick-press the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button for at least 10 seconds — until you see the Apple boot screen.
Your iPhone iOS should start up and you’ll be prompted to enter your passcode before being able to unlock the iPhone.
For more updated information about How to Reset, Reboot, Enter DFU Mode on iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus, feel free to drop your name, email and questions in the comment box below